Saturday, December 1, 2007

# 19 Web 2.0 tools


"Now, I give you fair warning, either you or your head must be off, and that in about half no time!"



Any excuse to pull up a photo - Monet's Garden! Yeah. I find myself getting sidetracked all the time. There is so much to see and explore! I checked out the Web 2.0 Awards list. Oh my! so I backtracked and went in to the winners only which was a bit more manageable. (I'm already a Library Thinger and had explored Technorati and a number of the other winners) so I took a look at RealTravel.

I liked the flight information. You get information on available flights for your chosen destination, stop overs, full travel time and cost together with type of aircraft and seating plan including available seats - but, you have to search multiple sites to end up with an extensive list of comparative prices (and I think it provided better for overseas than Australia.) However, I thought you could do better elsewhere for accommodation. The list they give you is quite good as a starting point but not really exhaustive. (They do have great maps though. )

I liked the idea of the free travel blog (but resisted signing up!) I have a friend, an inveterate traveller, who has no idea how to start and I hope to give her some help. I will start by directing her to this site.

From a library point of view, I think it gives a great introduction to travel information available on the web for first time users and would be a good starting place.

No comments: